Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Review: Guru Palace


I've been known to say, "I could eat paneer masala everyday and not get sick of it." I don't know if that's actually true since I have not tried. If there is a Guiness World Record in this category, I may consider the task.

When I do want paneer or malasa or anything Indian, I go to Guru Palace. I'm not Indian. I don't have a Chopped judges' palate. All I know is that I love this stuff. It is my crack. It is my pre-nap food because I'm so full and satisfied after the meal, the only reasonable thing to do is sleep. 

Guru, as we affectionately truncate the name, is located in an unassuming plaza, behind the Wells Fargo and north of Trader Joe's. (Don't get me started on TJ's... that's for another post or just visit What's Good at Trader Joe's) It has been open since 2007 and creates the most wonderful North Indian cuisine. Not only is the food amazing, the staff is lovely. The hostess is the sweetest gal and we love chatting with her whenever we visit. Every member of the staff is always helpful and provides excellent customer service.

I would highly consider the buffet because you will get a little taste of everything. The spice/hot factor ranges from dish to dish. I'm happy to say they are kicking it up a notch in some entrees. My hubby, brother and dad love a good food sweat. I'd rather not wear a sweat 'stache, but I happily wear one here.

Naan, garlic or regular, is offered at the meal and they provide about the same amount of options everyday, an extra table is added on Sundays, but the actual options may vary. 

At our last visit, the buffet included:

Buffet Drinks: Chai tea and frozen mango smoothie (I'm sorry, I don't have the proper name) 
Both drinks are always available. I absolutely love the chai. It is neither spicy now sweet -add sugar if you desire- and it is the perfect after meal drink.

Cold bar: Fruit Salad (seasonal- strawberries, pineapple and honeydew), Lettuce salad, cucumbers, lemons, Mint Sauce, Tamarind Sauce, Achar, Raita.
I tend to nibble on these options toward the end of the meal to cool down.

Hot Bar: Tandoori Chicken, Goat Masala, Aloo Bengan, Chicken Tikka Masala, Chicken Curry, Palak Paneer, Zeera Rice, Zucchini, Daal, Vegetable Pakora, Chana Masala and Samber. 
Did you know Tikka Masala was created in England? Apparently the traditional meals were too spicy for the Brits, so they calmed the heat with cream. Ta-da. I do have to say I'm quite happy they did. Everything is delicious, but my favorites are the Aloo, Tikka Masala, Paneer, Chana Masala and just about any vegetable they add to the buffet. 

Dessert: Gajrela (they used to serve this warm, which was very good, but it is now served cold), Gulab-Jamun and Kheer.
I usually can't decide on just one, so I take a little of at least two of the deserts.

You can find coupons once in a while in the New Times or in the paper, but do be aware they stopped taking them for the buffet.  They are kid-friendly and they can accommodate large parties. And if you are so inclined, you can watch Indian television at the bar and try to understand cricket. (I'd rather a good Bollywood movie any day, but I'll take what I can get from a foreign network)

Next time you go, I'd be happy to tag along.

2048 E. Baseline Road  
Mesa, Arizona, 85204   
Tel : 480-558-9300



Guru Palace on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment